Monday, December 17, 2007

ARCEE’S QUINTESSENTIAL HIP HOP 2007

Every year, I hear people complain about the state of Hip Hop. And every year, multiple artists release quality music at a rate the average consumer can’t keep up with. Nowadays, I wait until the end of the year to figure out which albums I want to own. I just let it marinate all year. God forbid you should actually go out and buy an album, but just don’t act like we never told you.

J-Dilla/Ruff Draft Re-issue (Stones Throw)
Clever of Stones Throw to re-issue this previously impossible to find Dilla project as part of his posthumous legacy. Without a doubt, a Dilla classic. Learnings: Never mix a record called Ruff Draft. It loses its charm.

Kanye West/Graduation (Def Jam)
For every hater telling me to get off Kanye’s balls, I will. Once he makes a wack record. Until then, I’m riding. The best album of the year. Definitely essential.

Devin the Dude/Waiting to Inhale (Rap-A-Lot)
I remember I heard this record twice briefly and I didn’t love it. But everyone who loves real rap music has a responsibility to support Devin’s career. Oh, potheads.


Pharaohe Monche/Desire (SRC)

One of those records that will undoubtedly disappear into the annals of hip hop, never to be seen or heard of again. Unless you buy it. Which you should, it’s a solid effort from one of hip hop’s most gifted lyricists.

Black Milk/Popular Demand(Fat Beats)
It’s debatable whether or not Black Milk is the heir to Dilla’s throne. What is not debatable is this music on this record. Dude can rap too.


UGK/Underground Kingz (Jive)
RIP Pimp C. Nothing but that professional gangsterism on wax, fools! I know more than a few people that would call this the album of the year. But, like all double albums, it should have been a single.

Jay-Z/American Gangster (Def Jam)
I liked Kingdom Come. But I love American Gangster. Your man Hov gets props for making better underground records than most underground rappers.

Little Brother/Get Back (ABB)
Phonte is officially my favourite emcee in hip hop. How can you not love a rapper who says ‘cucumber melon facial’ with a straight face? Incidentally, Pooh is no slouch on this record. Neck and neck with Kanye.

Common/Finding Forever (Universal)
Another installment in the legacy of Lonnie Lynn. Common has officially been making records you must own for over 12 years. Must be that Armor All flow. Never gets rusty.

Ghostface Killah/The Big Doe Rehab (Def Jam)
Without a doubt, the illest soloist out the clan. Ghostface proves why RZA needs new ears. After seven albums, I think I’m actually beginning to understand him.


Scarface/Made (Rap-A-Lot)

I can’t say this new record is better than The Fix. Hey, you can’t always top yourself. But “Boy meets girl” comes pretty close.

Peanut Butter Wolf presents
B-Ball Zombie War
(Stones Throw)

Definitely my favourite ‘various artists’ album of the year. Guilty Simpson with Doom and Dilla. MED and Just Blaze, plus unreleased Jaylib. To top it off, it was free on stonesthrow.com.

No comments: